- geographical situation: it is placed in the central-southern part of Romania, in the north of the Romanian Plain and in the south of the Curvature Eastern Carpathians;
- neighbours: in the west-Prahova; in the east-Braila; in the north-east-Vrancea; in the south-Ialomita; in the north-Covasna, Brasov;
- surface: 6,103 square km (respectively 2,5 % of the country-s surface);
- population: 512,000 inhabitants;
- towns: BUZAU-capital of the county (with 150,000 inhabitants, it is placed on the right bank of the river with the same name, at an altitude of 101 m, at the crossroads of the -Big road-, making the connection between Wallachia, Moldavia and Transylvania); Nehoiu; Pogoanele; Rm. Sarat.
- relief: it is very varied, structured on three main levels, decreasing in height from the north-west to the south-east, so that the north is dominated by the Vrancea Mountains (prolongations) and the Buzau Mountains (Penteleu peak, 1,772 m), then, in the center, the hills of the Curvature Sub-Carpathians (Burdusoaia, Ciolanu-M㧵ra, Istri- 754 m), and in the south, the low areas of the Romanian Plain;
- climate: it is temperate continental, varying according to the geographical structure (the north-wind blows all the year long, and also the dry south wind, influencing the county climate);
- watercourses: the Buzau river in the west (crossing the Buzau Mountains), with its tributaries, and the Ramnic river in the east.
- The Buzau Mountains-they offer a wonderful landscape: the paths of Pentel seem to invite you to know their petrified world, while the gritstones of Siriu give an impression of unique massiveness. One of the famous travellers of these places, Alexandru Odobescu, was making the following invitation: -come along with me to the Buzau Mountains and, maybe, you will spend some wonderful moments, as I did - when my eyes could see delightful places, and my hearing and my thoughts were wandering through fantastic realms of fairy tales-.
- Lacul fara fund (Lacul Vulturilor) The Lake witout Bottom (The Eagles- Lake) - periglacial lake situated at an altitude of 1,420 m in the Siriu Mountains, covering a surface of 0,5 hectares, being devoid of any plant;
- Lacul Talharilor (The Thieves- Lake) - natural dam;
- The Meledic Lake-near Manzalesti;
- Balta Alba - holm lake;
- Amara - holm lake;
- Gura Siriului-anthropic lake (dam lake), 360 ha.
- Odaile lake-Odaile.
PRESERVES AND MONUMENTS OF NATURE
- "-The Mud Volcanoes--from Paclele Mari and Paclele Mici (12 km from Berca), they represent one of the most interesting mixed (geological and botanical) preserves in Romania. This spectacular natural phenomenon is rarely encountered in the world. The preserve covers an area of about 30 hectares. The tourists are impressed by the strange landscape formed by the miniature mud volcanoes, through their craters the gases from the depths carry to the surface mud under the form of a grayish-white or ashen-brown fluid paste. This viscous -lava- results from dissolving of diorite sands or of clay by the water carried to the surface by the pressure of gas. A vegetation adapted to the high salt concentration grows around the -volcanoes-. Access: by road-the national road Buzau-Brasov or by train-from Buz㵠to Berca;
- Rezervatiile Academiei-Manzalesti (34 de pesteri, 25-200 m sare, Pestera 6 fiind cea mai lunga din lume-1.337 m);
- -Sarea lui Buzau--geological and palaeontological preserve between the Parscov and Badila localities, on the Buzau Valley, it consists of several limestone structures and a hill with various springs and salt efflorescences. The limestone blocks contain Jurassic fauna, and their isolated presence in this area has risen the interest of the specialists;
- -Focul Viu- (-The Living Fire-) - a monument of nature situated close to Lopatari village, where one can see a 0,5 m high flame rising in the wind blow, a natural phenomenon produced by a continuous emission of gases from beyond the surface;
- Rezervatia naturala Padurea Gavana - Manzalesti (cu mesteacan alb si fauna diversa: scrumbie, broasca testoasa de uscat, cameleon);
- Apele minerale - Bustea (1892-1939);
- Malul cu sare-Bisoca;
- Rezervatiile naturale de pin negru-Bisoca;
- Rezervatia Malul Rosu - Lopatari;
- Grunjul (Tuful vulcanic atacitic)-Manzalesti;
- Platoul Carstic Izvorul Sarat-Meledic;
- The Frasinu Forest-(7 km south of Buzau, near the Bucharest-Buzau-Focsani road), fluffy ash-tree forest preserve;
- The Spataru Forest-(7 km away from Buzau and 2 km from the Frasinu forest), forest preserve at the limit between the ash forests and the oak forests);
- Rezervatia forestiera-Bisoca.
- Sarata Monteoru - the spa (18 km away from Buzau, at an altitude of 86 m) is surrounded by hills covered with forests and terraces with vineyards, The climate is moderate, during the summers, the number of sunny days is larger and the rainfalls are very reduced. The spa offeres many facilities: devices for hot mineral water baths; open air pools with mineral water; medical gym; devices for electro- and hydrotherapy. Access: by road-DN 1B a 10 km deviation from the Merei inn, by train-the Buzau railway station;
- Balta Alba - spa at an altitude of 30 m, on the bank of Balta Alba lake, (20 km away from Ramnicu Sarat and 56 km away from Buzau);
- Fasici-spa, (49 km away from Buzau);
- Siriu-Bai - at an altitude of 508 m, (82 km away from Buzau).
- Sarata Moneoru - vestiges of the Monteoru culture and traces of a Dacian settlement;
- The Istrita Hill - Pietroasele, where the famous treasure -Closca cu puii de aur- (-The Hen with Golden Chickens-) was discovered-it belonged to the Visigoths led by Atanarik, who were wandering through these places in 376.
- Ruinele casei domnesti-Vintila Voda;
- Castrul Roman-Pietroasele;
- Ruinele manastirii-Vintila Voda (unde a domnit Vlad Voda Vintila-1535);
- Ruinele castelului-Meledic;
- Asezamintele rupestre sculptate pereti de gresie-Alunis, Nucu.
- Episcopal Church-Buzau, a huge church built in 1507 during Radu the Great-s reign and rebuilt by Matei Basarab in 1649. Today it hosts a museum of antique art objects;
- Monastery Church-Ramnicu Sarat, it was built during Constantin Brancoveanu-s reign (1691-1697). Alexandru Vlahuta wrote that the church is a -real museum- distinguishing itself by the well preserved inner wall paintings and by its rich decorations;
- Banu Church-Buzau, it was built in 1571 in the style of the monasteries from Northern Moldavia;
- -Saint Paraschiva- Church-Rm. Sarat, it was built by Stephen the Great in honour of one of his victories against the army of Radu the Handsome;
- -Negustori- Church-Buz㵬 (1649), in Neoclassical style;
- Ciolanu Monastery-M㧵ra, (1568);
- Barbu Monastery-Barbu, (1668).
- Complex Brancovenesc-Rm. Sarat;
- Manastirea Poiana Marului-Bisoc;
- Bisericuta din lemn-Vintila Voda (construita din barna de stejar, acoperita cu trestie. Crucile din piatra au litere chirilice. Are o vechime de peste 300 de ani);
- Manastirea-Gavana (1707);
- Biserica-Bustea, cu picturi de Tattarescu (1808).
- Muzeul etnografic al Vaii Slanicului-Manzalesti;
- Muzeul chihlimbarului-Colti;
- Muzeul judetean de istorie-Buzau;
- Palatul comunal-Buzau;
- Casa "Vergu Manaila"-Buzau;
- Muzeul orasenesc-Rm. Sarat.
- This region of the Buzau county preserves rich and various ethnographical elements; anscient customs (Gura Teghii); wooden sculptures (Lopatari); textures and carpets (Bisoca); musical instruments (Manzalesti), folkloric festival (Poiana Nucului-Lopatari).
Source: Romanian Travel Guide / Publirom