- geographical situation: it is located in the central-eastern part of Romania, in the external area of the curvatures of the Carpathians, in the basin of Putna river;
- neighbours: in the north-Bacau; in the east-Galati; in the north-east-Vaslui; in the south-east-Braila; in the south-west-Buzau; in the west-Covasna;
- surface: 4,857 square km (respectively 2 % of the country's territory);
- population: 390,000 inhabitants;
- towns: FOCSANI-capital of the county (with 100,000 inhabitants, at the foot of the Sub-Carpathian hills, in a low region of hills, on the banks of the Milcov river); Adjud; Marasesti; Odobesti; Panciu.
- relief: it is varied, structured into three levels going from east to west (the Vrancea Mountains, Gofu Peak, 1.785 m, of sedimentary rocks, the curvature Sub-Carpathic Hills-Magura Odobestilor, 1.001 m, the Sub-Carpathic Depression-Vrancea, wide, with terraces, the depressions bordered by hills, the Low Siret plain and meadow);
- climate: it is temperate continental, characteristic for plain, hill and mountain, with not-uniform waterfalls, with winds that blow from north and north-west, or winds of mountain valley which bring inversions in temperature in the Vrancea depression and fohn effects on the eastern slopes;
- watercourses: they are represented by Zabrauti, Susita, Putna (with Zbala), R⭮icul, Milcovul and Siret rivers.
- Vrancea Mountains-(Gofu Peak, 1,785 m), they form the curvature of the Carpathians, being characterized by long rideges (easy to climb), but also canyon-like valleys, always in shadow.
PRESERVES AND MONUMENTS OF NATURE
- "The Living Fire"- Andriesu de Jos, geological preserve on the Upper Milcov; it is represented by emissions of natural gas which spring from the crevices in the earth crist and ignite spontaneously, forming 30-50 cm high flames (hard to be seen in daytime);
- Forest-Dalhauti (15 km from Focsani), preserve which includes old and large trees: beech, oak, ash trees);
- Cenaru Forest-Andriesul de Jos, forest preserve sheltering gigantic beech, fir and yew trees;
- Preserve-Reghiu Scruntaru (32 km from Focsani), complex preserve; some parts look like Medieval fortresses in ruins. It is impressive due to the waterfalls, the rich flora and beautiful landscape.
- Traces of the Forest-Craciuna (near Focsani), mountain fortress, 13th-15th centuries. It was fortified in 1489 by Stephen the Great as an outpost in front of the Turkish incursions.
- Monastery-Soveja (80 km from Focsani), it was built by Matei Basarab in 1645. The writer Alecu Russo was exiled here in 1846; in this region he discovered and transcribed the ballad "Miorita";
- Monastery-Mera (25 km from Focsani), it was built in 1705 by the Cantemir family (famous scholars and patriots). It resembles a lot the voivodal churches of Moldavia;
- Hermitage-Dalhauti (1464), historical monument;
- Monastery-Vizantea (41 km from Focsani), it was built by voivode Ieremia Movila (1565-1606);
- "The Birth of the Virgin" Church-Focsani, it was built in 1661 by the Wallachian voivode, Grigore Ghica;
- Recea Monastery-C⮤esti (1685-1692);
- "Precista" Church-Focsani, it was built by Nicolae Mavrocordat (1709-1716).
- Union Museum-Focsani, it exhibits many documents that attest the fact that the town of Focsani was an important centre of the unionist movement. The museum also includes an interesting collection of old furniture and objects which belonged to the Cuza family;
- "Mos Ioan Roata" Memoria House-C⭰uri (60 km from Focsani), in memory of the peasant sent to the Moldavian ad-hoc meeting. Mos Ioan Roata illustrated the strong will of the Romanian peasants to eliminate all the obstacles faced by the 1859 Union of the Romanian Principalities;
- "Alexandu Vlahuta" Memorial House-Dragosloveni (15 km from Focsani), it presents furniture, paintings, documents related to the writer's activity;
- "Duiliu Zamfirescu" Memorial House-Focsani, childhood house of the writer who lived between 1858-1922;
- Museum of the Village-Petresti (7 km from Focsani); items from the -Land of Vrancea", one of the most interesting ethnographical areas in Romania.
MONUMENTS AND STATUES
- Heroes Mausoleum-Marasesti (20 km from Focsani, in DN 2 = E 85), famous as the place of the fiercest First World War battles in Romania. The heroism of the Romanian army, in the summer of 1917 decided the course of the war. Commenting the battles from Marasesti, the English newspaper "Times" wrote: -This defeat is the major blow received by the Germans in the Eastern Europe. The Romanians fought with extraordinary determination..." This mausoleum (a replica of the monument from Adamclisi) shelters the remains of those who died in 1917, the grave of the General Eremia Grigorescu and a small military museum;
- Heroes Mausoleum-Marasti (66 km from Focsani), fierce battles have been fought here as well in July 1917. The mausoleum keeps alive the memory of the thousands who died here;
- Union Obelisk-Focsani, 20 m in height, the monument presents 85 characters of the historical moment of the 1859 Union; it was done by a team led by sculptor Ion Jalea.
- The "Land of Vrancea", very interesting and original flokloric-ethnographical area preserves even today traditional crafts like: wood carving (Barsesti, Mera); weaving for interior decorations, pottery (Iresti); creation of folk costume and unique popular masks. The tourists visiting this land are fascinated by the original lifestyle of the inhabitants (reflected by their crafts and traditions), by the beautiful folk festivals.
Source: Romanian Travel Guide / Publirom