Tourist sights - Religious Buildings - Bucharest, Bukarest, Turism, vacanta, munte, litoral, aventura, harti si fotografii in Romania prin Romanian

Romanian Tourism - tourism in Romania
RomanianTourism network:

General info
Tourist zones

Romanian visa


Dracula Castle
Prahova Valley


Black Sea
Danube Delta

Accommodation Vacations Specials Round-trip Trips Rural Tourism Flights Rent a car

Versiune in limba romana - English version - Deutch - 
Quick search
Members login
  Forgot my password!
  New account
The site's from national Romanian Tourism network




Romania - Tourist sights - Religious Buildings - Bucharest, Bukarest, Turism, vacanta, munte, litoral, aventura, harti si fotografii in Romania prin Romanian
  Tourist sights

The Complex of the Patriarchy-a large size construction, built between 1656-1658, by ruler Constantin Serban Basarab and finished in time of Radu Leon (1664-1669), when it became the headquarters of the Metropolitan Church. It resembles a lot the bishop church from Curtea de Arges, the difference is made by its larger size and the wide open veranda;
     "Curtea Veche" Church-one of the most valuable buildings of religious architecture from the Feudal Age, the oldest in Bucharest. It is preserved in its initial form built between 1545-1547 by the ruler Mircea Ciobanul for the needs of the Ruling Court. There are also preserved some frescos from the reign of Stefan Cantacuzino (who made several repairs); it was declared historical monument;
     Marcuta Church-old historical monument (1586-1587), with interesting structure and decoration details. Inside, it preserves some fragments of 16th century paintings;

"Mihai Voda" Monastery-(1589-1591), it was built by great voivode Michael the Brave, on the place of an old church. It had strong defence walls and royal houses that later were used as residence of Fanar kings. The present complex includes: the Church (architectural and historical monument), the Palace of the State Archives and the Belfry;
     "Radu Voda" Monastery-(1568), it was built by Mircea Ciobanu's son, set on fire by the Turks withdrawing from the glorious attack of Michael the Brave and restored during the reign of Radu Mihnea. It hosts Gh. Tttrescu 's paintings. It is an important monument of the capital due to its troubled history and artistical value;
     Plumbuita Monastery-the works started during the reign of Petru Vod the Young (1559-1568) and were ended under Mihnea Turcitul. The complex includes: the Church, the Belfry, the Cells and the Royal House (today it hosts a museum of religious art objects). Inside, it preserves original wall paintings;
     "Fundenii Doamnei" Monastery-edifice realised through the efforts of Mihai Cantacuzino, finished in 1699. It preserves the painting made by Prvu Mutu, the painter of Brncoveanu Epoch. The facades of the church are entirely decorated with oriental elements like the Persian miniatures;
     Antim Monastery-(1714-1715), it was founded by the metropolitan bishop of Georgian origin, Antim Ivireanu, one of the outstanding cultural personalities of Constantin Brncoveanu's reign. The monastery is one of the most beautiful architectural monuments in Bucharest belonging, by decoration and conception, to the Brncovenesque style. K. Storck added several beautiful wood sculptures;
     Kretzulescu Church-(1720-1722), monument synthesizing in its architecture the art of Brncoveanu Epoch. It was built through the efforts of the great chancellor, Iordache Kretzulescu and his wife, Safta (one of the daughters of Constantin Brncoveanu). The interior wall painting was realised by Gh. Tttrescu (1859-1860);
     Stavropoleos Church-(1724-1730), it was built through the efforts of the Greek archimandrite Ioanichie. It has rich adornments (especially the veranda) and impresses by the exterior painting and the decorativeness;
     "Sf. Gheorghe Nou" Church-the greatest church founded by Constantin Brncoveanu at the end of the 17th century. It was destroyed in a fire and rebuilt between 1852-1853;
     Biserica Doamnei-The Lady's Church-it was built by Lady Maria and her husband, Serban Cantacuzino in 1683. It has wall paintings from the 17th century;
     Coltea Church-it was built by Cantacuzino between 1701-1702. It has rich adornments specific to the Brancovenesque style; the frescos are painted by Gh. Tattarescu ;
     "Dintr-o zi"-"In One Day" Church-historical and architectural monument built in 1702;
     Biserica "Negustori"-(1725-1726), cu fragmente de picturi originale executate de Parvu Mutu, si pictura realizata de Gh. Tattarescu;
     "Negustori"-"Merchants" Church-(1725-1726), fragments of original paintings made by Parvu Mutu and painting realised by Gh. Tattarescu;
     The "Icon's Church"-(1745-1750), historical monument, it was painted in oil by Gh. Tttrescu.